Jewish Iraqi Music

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Culture and Music: Jewish Iraqi Music
 SubtopicMsgs  Last Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Ami Yares (Ayares)

Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 04:33 pm Click here to edit this post
I am a Rutgers University student researching the use of Judeo Iraqi music in the Jewish Community. If you are aware of, or participate in activities pertaining to Judeo Iraqi music, I would be honored to hear about your experience. Any other inquiries are welcomed.
thanks

Ami
amiyares@eden.rutgers.edu

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Friday, March 09, 2001 - 02:51 am Click here to edit this post
dear Ami
well Jewish Iraqi Music is very reach. I am Hazzan at Beth Keneseth Yosef Haim in Jerusalem where we do every thing according to the tradition of Iraqi Jews. especialy Keri'at Hatora and all the Piyyutim during the whole year and in special events as Nissu'im Berith Mila etc.
we sing a lot of Piyyutim and every Piyyut has its special tune.
if this is what you ask about I'll be glad to continue corresponding with you
Poorim Sameh
Haim Salman

Ami Yares (Ayares)

Monday, March 12, 2001 - 08:19 pm Click here to edit this post
Haim -- Thank you for responding. right now my research is only focusing on the Iraqi Jews of America. However, if you know of any Iraqi Jews living near New York city, I would be honored to speak with them. If I travel to Israel soon, I would like to attend services at Beth Keneseth Yosef Haim. thank you
b'shalom
Ami Yares

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Monday, March 12, 2001 - 11:16 pm Click here to edit this post
dear Ami
I would be glad to read about some of the Iraqi jewish music that you have already know. I mean Piyyutim and Ta'amey Hamikra.
Haim

Yvonne (Yvonne)

Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 02:07 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear Ami,
I am half-Iraqi and trying to learn more about my people and my culture. I do not know anything about Iraqi Jewish music, unfortunately, but I would be interested in reading your research whenever it is finished. Yvonne

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 10:35 pm Click here to edit this post
dear Yvonne
the Iraqi Jews have a lot of songs which are called Piyyutim. these songs are sung in Beth Kenesheth on Shabbath and Mo'adim and in many events as wedding Berith Mila Bar Miswa etc.
all the songs are written in a book called Sefer Hashirim Hashalem. there are also tapes that you can listen through them how the songs are sung.
the Iraqi Jewish songs use oriental instruments as: Violin, Ud, Kanoon etc. they have a lot of Arabic songs too.
also the Tefilloth are done with oriental tunes.
Haim from Yerushalayim Yisrael

Yvonne (Yvonne)

Sunday, March 25, 2001 - 03:45 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear Haim Salman,
Thanks for your reply. I know that Ashkenazi synagogues sing Piyyutim during High Holidays. Is there any similarity? Where can I find tapes of them?
I have heard of the instrument called the Ud. I think there is an Israeli story (which I sadly haven't finished yet) called Tarnegolet Kapparot where one of the Iraqi boys prefers his Ud to the western instruments.

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Tuesday, March 27, 2001 - 01:45 pm Click here to edit this post
dear Yvonne
well my brothers and I have recorded two tapes with all the Iraqi Jews Piyyutim for Shabbath Yom Tov and for events as wedding Berith Mila etc.
let me know where you live and I let you know where to get them.
I am sure you'll like them very much because they are sung with the authentic tunes which our fathers and forefathers used to sing in Iraq and here in Israel.
Haim

Yvonne (Yvonne)

Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 05:55 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear Haim Salman,
Thanks. That is a very kind offer. How can I send you my address?
Yvonne

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 10:54 pm Click here to edit this post
dear Yvonne
My E-Mail address is: uz12@barak-online.net
you can send me your address to my E-mail address and I'll tell you what to do.
Haim

Cleber Ferrera (Ferrerabr)

Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 04:58 pm Click here to edit this post
bs"d
dear sir, since yoou live in israel do you know hazan palah? he has recorded all the tehilim in te iraqi tradition but I have only some of them. my email is ferrerabr@yahoo.com. I am from Turkish-Greek tradition.
cleber (ishak refael ferrera)

Haim salman (Salmanh)

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:10 am Click here to edit this post
dear Mr. Ferera
I have sent you an e-mail to day about the Tehillim.
every one who is interested in Iraqi Jews Piyyutim (songs) can order through Midrash Ben Ish Hai a cd of all the Piyyutim which were performed by the members of my family.
Haim Salman

(Note from the board administration) these excellent CDs may be purchased on line at:
http://www.midrash.org/salman

BatAmi (Batami)

Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:08 pm Click here to edit this post
Where/how can I find "Inshallah Shalom"? And who is the guy who sings it and may have written it? Thank you.

David Horesh (Hotbread)

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 11:39 am Click here to edit this post
I am hoping that this message list is still active. My father's family was from Basra and Baghdad, but I did not grow up near an Iraqi commmunity. I am now living in Kansas and am trying to learn the Iraqi Nussach and minhag so that I can teach it to my children. I have seen the CD that Haim produced. Does anyone of a more complete recording. I am looking for the entire Kabbalat Shabbat, and Shacharit Shabbat.

Thank you very much.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page