Home and Halacha

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Women's issues: Home and Halacha
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Claudia (Claudia)

Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 01:31 pm Click here to edit this post
I would like disscuss Halacha laws and living at home.How possible is it for modern jewish women.

Hannah (Hannah)

Monday, January 31, 2005 - 11:08 am Click here to edit this post
hi-

i am in med school and moving away from halacha because i am so busy, it's interesting how much i have changed. plus i am single..i think that you need to be with a husband or a group of religious people to facilitate.

best,
hannah

Claudia (Claudia)

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 01:44 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear hannah
thankyou for your e-Mail.
Your answer is that modern jewish women have no time for Halacha or religion because of normal life etc. I wonder when I read parts of halacha, how it is possible to live according this subjects.
It is beautiful and the relation of the different laws and the right which is involved is nearly perfect but too perfect for a normal person.
I hope to find a group of religious people to facilitate.

with best regards
Claudia

Hannah (Hannah)

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 05:41 pm Click here to edit this post
Hi Claudia,

I also believe that halacha is beautiful and would one day like to have more study and observance. I know that women in Brooklyn, Miami Beach and the like are getting away with it. If you make it a life priority I think that you could do it. But there are many laws pertaining to work and the work place. I used to suscribe to daily halacha by eli monsour and also to chozrim women's mailing list. I found both of these to be kind of depressing and the women on the mailing list were depressed and negative toward each other. I didn't feel the right vibe with them. Maybe now is just not the time for me but if you can fit in with healthy, uplifting people who practice it then by all means do what you feel is right.

Best,
Hannah

Claudia (Claudia)

Friday, February 04, 2005 - 03:26 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear Hannah
However, in some cases halacha laws are natural without thinking about it but many situations demand a analysis with details and aspects and like you the time and space are not often prepared for. Good is to integrate Halacha in the live but the best is to integrate life in the Halacha. I think basis is the orthodox way, my life is nor othodox and my job also not and so I wondered what about prayers and Shabbat.
Yes I also suscribe to daily Halacha, often I listen to it but also often the e-mail are collected in the post. Only the laws of yichud I read carefully and just to this time I sat with only men in the evening in the office for working and my husband was not in the town, because I have no husband.
What are you doing with Shabbat, separating meat and milk, eating kosher etc.?
I will look about chozrim women`s mailing list, I think I can learn very much.

With best regards
Claudia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page