Jewish Beliefs regarding an afterlife

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Other Jewish Religious Topics: Jewish Beliefs regarding an afterlife
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Fred Cochrane (Fcochrane)

Saturday, September 23, 2000 - 07:58 pm Click here to edit this post
I have an 88 year-old friend who is blind and attends classes at the Braille Institute for the blind. During one of her classes the instructor said that she was Jewish and so did not believe that there was any life after death. My friend had never heard of this and asked me to research it. Neither one of us are Jewish but would like to know what the Jewish faith teaches on this subject. Can anyone enlighten us? I would very much appreciate any help you can offer. Sincerely, Fred Cochrane

shimon (Shimon)

Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 03:05 pm Click here to edit this post
Fred, What do you mean when you write "...she was Jewish and SO did not believe in life after death"? On page 292 of 'The Orot Sephardic Weekday Siddur' (daily prayerbook), the Thirteen Priciples of Faith (Jewish faith) are listed and we recite them daily. Here they are:
Hereby do I declare that I believe with perfect faith in the thirteen principles of the holy Torah: 1) That the Holy One, blessed is He is present and oversees; [hanhaga wehashgaHa] 2) that He is One; 3) that He has no body nor any likeness of a body; 4) that He precedes all the ancients; 5) that there is no worship to any besides Him; 6) that He knows the thoughts of man; 7) that the prophecy of Moshe, our teacher, peace be upon him, is true; 8) and that he is master to all the prophets; 9) that the Torah was given from the heavens; 10) and that it will not change at any time, Heaven forbid; 11) that the Holy One, blessed is He, punishes the wicked and rewards the righteous; 12) that the King Messiah will come; 13) that the dead are destined to be revived.
Shimon.

Jacob H. Bechtel IV (Papajake)

Monday, October 09, 2000 - 04:13 pm Click here to edit this post
Fred, I sorrow for your friend's teacher. Your friend is 88 and blind but obiously she has better sight than that of her teacher! From as early as I can remember I have known the truth that this earthly body and existance is but a stepping stone to G_ds kingdom. My prayers have always been answered, even if I didn't like the answer! Your friend has only to ask and the truth will be made known to her! This life is NOT all! Our WILL to follow G_ds law in this life is the basis for our union with the Creator - our ABILITY is something that HE determined for us! G-d bless and keep your friend - her refusal to accept the words of her teacher is Proof of her WILL to keep G-d's law and will surely place her on the side of the Lord when we are revived.

HAIM (Life)

Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:56 pm Click here to edit this post
Trust me, there is life after death.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page