Adeni minhagim

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Other Jewish Religious Topics: Adeni minhagim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Kim (Kim)

Monday, September 04, 2000 - 01:22 pm Click here to edit this post
I have come to understand that the Adeni Jews' customs differ not only from the Ashkenazi ones but also differ or add onto the laws given in here, by the Ben Ish Chai.

Can anyone inform me on how to find out more about the Adeni? Is there any book on "their" hilchot, on their minhagim? Any comment would be immensly welcomed...

salman haim (Haim)

Wednesday, November 01, 2000 - 04:03 pm Click here to edit this post
as far as I know they follow the Halackot of Haramba"m.
Haim salman
jerusalem Israel

HAIM (Life)

Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 03:53 pm Click here to edit this post
What's Adeni?

Sarah Miriam (Sarahla)

Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 10:56 am Click here to edit this post
Shavua tov. Adeni - or adani - is someone from Southern Yemen, namely Aden (once a British colony). Not to be confused with Temani, also Yemenite, but still slightly different.

Sarah Miriam (Sarahla)

Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 10:53 am Click here to edit this post
Shavua tov. Adeni - or adani - is someone from Southern Yemen, namely Aden (once a British colony). Not to be confused with Temani, also Yemenite, but still slightly different.

Peace (Teen)

Monday, May 20, 2002 - 03:55 pm Click here to edit this post
Do any of you know any famous differences between the Adeni's and the Teimanim?

JewGirl (Jewgirl)

Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 11:31 am Click here to edit this post
The Adenis lived in a small port or 'crater' in South Yemem I dont think that they are all necessarily descended from Yemen although probably there is a lot of Yemenite mixed in there, but they are not necessarily the same as far as I know.
The Yemenites grow peyoth as far as I know the Adenis do not have this Minhag although many of their minhagim are similar if not the same.

Shemaryahu Esrael (Shemaryahu)

Friday, June 21, 2002 - 01:22 pm Click here to edit this post
Actually, Temani simply means Yemenite and refers to any Jew from that area and their descendants.

Whether or not a Jew is from Aden, San'a, Wadi Haddan, or anywhere else in that country, they are still Temani.

Originally, the peyoth were a result of the Zayidi Muslem rule of Yemen - Jews were forced to wear sidelocks as a distinguishing mark. Later, we adapted and began to wear them with pride.

Friday, June 21, 2002 - 01:26 pm Click here to edit this post
I forgot to answer the original question: Temani Baladi follow the Mishna Tora. Temani Shammi follow the Shulhan Arukh. That's the basic distinction. I myself am Baladi.

Sarah Miriam (Sarahla)

Thursday, July 04, 2002 - 06:29 pm Click here to edit this post
I have since learned that which Shemaryahu Esrael says here is true. Adeni Temanim ARE as Yemenite as the rest, "Jewgirl", the one difference being if one follows nusach Baladi or Shammi. Furthermore, I don't think any of the Temanim descended from Yemen - in speaking with most Temani people (Jewish of course), I often get the impression that they felt more as hostile guests at best, and at worst as what we all really are: refugees fleeing the ruins of the Bet Hamikdash.

For anyone interested in Temani Jewish minhagim and culture, go to www.chayas.com

It's a wonderful site, well worth your time. If by any chance there are any Temanim out there raising a family in a remote or mostly Ashkenazi area, feel free to post in here, as I would love sharing advice and experiences (I guess the only real advice is to make aliyah, but until then...).

Leshana haba beyerushalayim!

Peace (Teen)

Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 02:40 pm Click here to edit this post
Doesn't the custom of having long side curls come from the Kabbalah? Isn't it why the Hassidim do so?

Monday, September 09, 2002 - 01:59 pm Click here to edit this post
The actual halakha of peyoth is d'Oraitha. Ashkenazim tend to wear them as side-curls, as do (today) some Temonim (there is an article at www.chayas.com on Temoni peyoth written by Mori Yusef Qafah zs"l in Halikhoth Temon). Sefaradhim consider one's sideburns to qualify. Beta Esrael, too, consider sideburns acceptable.

David Ben-Abraham (Yemenite)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 09:47 am Click here to edit this post
B"H
To all my Yemenite friends, I was delighted to read these exchanges between you on the Adenis, and on the custom of wearing "Pe'oth," or side-locks. I have just started a group forum, entitled "the Yemenite Group." I highly recommend it for those interested in the Yemenite Jewish culture, halachic practices, etc.
We are found under the following address:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yemenite_group
I look forward to your participation, and will continue to be active here, in this forum!
Sincerely,
David Ben-Abraham (moderator)

David Ben-Abraham (Yemenite)

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 01:56 pm Click here to edit this post
B"H
A good book was published in Israel, not very long ago, giving a very thorough description of Adeni customs (practiced by all orthodox Jews there) before their emigration from that British Protectorate. The book is called, "Nachalath Yoseph," by the author Shemuel Yoshuah Hamdi. When I last enquired about the book, I was told that it was out of print. However, the book can be found in most university libraries here, in Israel.
Sincerely,
David Ben-Abraham

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page