Rabbi Ovadyah on the Ben Ish Hai

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Other Jewish Religious Topics: Rabbi Ovadyah on the Ben Ish Hai
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Peace (Teen)

Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:05 pm Click here to edit this post
Rabbi Ovadyah Yossef, with the permission of his great Rabbi, the Tzaddik Rav Ezra Attiyah, wrote a sefer named Halikhot Olam.
This is a six volume masterpeace which is written on the SEFER BEN ISH HAI, and in it Rav Ovadyah is very critical of some of the Ben Ish Hai's rulings.
What I am wondering is, what I as a Sephardi must do when the 2 argue. Am I supposed to follow Rav Ovadyah or the Ben Ish Chai? Most of my Sephardi friends hold of Rav Ovadiah's rulings as final. Is that the right thing to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Eli Cohen (Rebmaster)

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 11:59 pm Click here to edit this post
I cannot tell you what you should do but I will tell you that what your friends hold does not make the halacha. You MUST ask a competent
rabbi what you should do.

Rab Ovadia Yosef follows the MARAN, Shulhan Aruch (Peshat); however, Hakham Yosef Haiim (BEN ISH HAI) follows Maran as well as the ZOHAR and ARIZAL (SOD).

You are no doubt aware that traditionally, Sephardim (specifically Edot Hamizrah) followed a combination of Maran and the sod.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page