Ari"zal

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Other Jewish Religious Topics: Ari"zal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Moshe Herman (Moshedovid)

Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:24 am Click here to edit this post
B"H

Can anyone tell me for what reasons the Ari"zal ruled that we are to wear tzitzis (tzitzith) of the talis katan (tallith katan) inside our clothing rather than outside? The p'shat meaning of the p'suk re: tzitzis tells us we are to look upon them and see them...so why did the Ari"zal rule otherwise? I've been wondering this for a while, and I wanted to ask...

Thanks,

Moshe

Yehoshua (Yehoshua)

Tuesday, July 23, 2002 - 03:07 pm Click here to edit this post
The inyan of tztzit is not complicated... Since 2 talliot are worn, the outer one (tallit gadol) is considered to be be "ohr makif" and the inner (tallit katan) is "ohr pnimi" and therefore not seen from the outside.
Additionally, many consider the tallit katan to be the "beged Shechina" and therefore in exile or hidden from view, so to speak.
I hope that these concepts are fimiliar to you. If they are, the reasoning will be clear.

Yeshiah Zalmon (Yeshiah)

Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 12:47 am Click here to edit this post
I just posted the same question and I see here. I am not familiar with the concepts. I am in a lubavitch community who also claim to follow the Ari except here. Can I have sources for references and more detailed info so when the Rabbi yells at me I can atleast give him a reasonable reply and where to look.

I also prefer understanding why I dont do what "they do" and when I explain to my son he also wants reasonable reasons when possible.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page