Harab Obadia Yosef's comments on the Holocaust and Arabs

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Current Events: Harab Obadia Yosef's comments on the Holocaust and Arabs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Ilan (Sephardiboy)

Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 10:22 pm Click here to edit this post
Rabbi Obadia Yosef, spiritual leader of the Ultra-Orthodox Shas party, has claimed that all Jews murdered in the Holocaust were re-incarnations of "sinners" and had to suffer to atone for their sins, and that Palestinians are "snakes" and "evil" and that God regrets ever having created "Ishmaelites". He went on to condemn Barak for his concessions to Arafat which might allow these "snakes" to "come and live next to us".
What effect will Obadia Yosef's statements have on the credibility of the Shas party in Israel, and on Israel's image in the eyes of the rest of the world? Was he wise to say what he did? Have your say here on the MBIH message board!

Ilan (Sephardiboy)

Thursday, August 10, 2000 - 10:39 pm Click here to edit this post
I personally have no problem with the Rav's statements because I feel that with his holocaust comments he was just showing that G-d has a purpose to everything, and by calling Arabs snakes he was just letting his anger out on those evil people. Though from what I have read in newspapers, heard on the radio, and watched on TV, negative reactions have been flying around. The Rav's life has been in danger ever since the comments have been made as many holocaust survivors have been offended, and many have threatened him. Since I only am 17 and have absolute no connection with the holocaust my opinion probably means nothing because I didn't go through the Holocaust (unless I am a re-incarnation of a victim) to have any ill feelings on his comments. I'd really like to hear your opinion on these issues even if you are in the same situation as I am.

Thank you

Haifa (Haifa)

Sunday, August 13, 2000 - 10:38 pm Click here to edit this post
Ilan, these are tough questions. I only heard more or less what you wrote. But I didn't catch the context in which the remarks were made. I must admit it must be tough though for someone who lost someone in the holocaust to hear something like that. But like I say, I would like to see exactly what he said and if it was in response to a specific question.

Morris Yohanan (Moshe)

Tuesday, August 15, 2000 - 03:13 pm Click here to edit this post
I partially agree with Haifa, but I would not be one to critcize one of the Gedolim.

Eli Cohen (Rebmaster)

Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 08:27 pm Click here to edit this post
I have not heard Rav Ovadya Yosef's comments directly; however, I know that he is a great hacham and he know what he is talking about.

This is what I know. The Rav said that the holocaust happened because of OUR (OUR's means ALL THE JEWS. Sepharadi, Ashkenazi, Hasidic, reform, conservative) sins. He also apologized if his comments offended some people. The Rav said that there were many Sadikim who were murdered in the Holocaust. I think that NY Times and others have changed what the Rav said to create SIN-AT HI-NAM among Jews.

We all should be carefull how we talk about a Gadol Hador.

Peace (Teen)

Friday, May 10, 2002 - 05:12 pm Click here to edit this post
Rabbi Ovadyah has been criticized for everything he says. His words are always taken out of context, and the Israeli leftist media wait to pounce on anything he says.
What he said about the holocaust is no problem amongst Chareidim, and he said that the Arab Terrorists must not be pitied. His name calling may not be politically correct but who am I to question him?

Look at his Sefarim. Full of Chochma!!
Yabia Omer, Yechave Da'at, Halikhot Olam, Meor Yisrael on the Talmud, etc... This man should be treated like the gadol that he is!!!!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page