How does Judaism define Satan?

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Try before using: How does Judaism define Satan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

adillmann (Adillmann)

Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 08:51 pm Click here to edit this post
I have been a Christian, who has questioned my religion all my life. Recently, at work, someone
captured my interest in the Kaballah. I've read several books and have found it to be a beautiful concept if not sensible and practical. In order to get the full scope of the Kaballah, however, I have had to educate myself on Judaism. I have alot of questions...for instance, how does Judaism define Satan? Be specific, if you will, and also provide me with Bible references.

Libi S. (Libi)

Monday, May 24, 2004 - 11:11 am Click here to edit this post
In Judaism there is Yetzer Hara (bad/human inclination) & Tov Hara (good inclination). This would rule out any Satanic figure. To pose a Satanic figure into a monotheistic theology such as Judaism/Islam/Xtianity, would make it Polytheistic due to the fact that there would be the worship, intended or not, of more than one Deity. So basically...according to Talmud, there is no satan, no bad dude chasing around trying to tempt us into doing bad stuff....There's just our inclination that we can deny at anytime out of obedience to our conscience, or religious self. For references read "Everyman's Talmud" by A.Cohen

SHIMON COHEN (Shimon)

Monday, July 19, 2004 - 06:33 pm Click here to edit this post
I BEG TO DIFFER WITH LIBI S. THE YETZER HORA REFERRED TO ABOVE IS A CREATION OF THE AL-MIGHTY TO TEST US, SORT OF LIKE A PACER TRAINING US FOR A RACE. ONLY WHEN WE'RE CHALENGED CAN WE SHOW AND DO OUR BEST. THEN WE KNOW THAT OUR IDEALS ARE REAL AND NOT FANTASY. THERE IS A BOOK CALLED THE TANYA WRITTEN BY RABBI SCHNUER ZALMAN OF LADI THAT EXPLAINS THIS AND MANY OTHER THINGS QUITE EXTENSIVELY. IT IS AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH.

TopAuto

Friday, March 30, 2007 - 09:05 pm Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

TopAutoEvo

Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:33 am Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Top-Evo

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 07:18 pm Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Top-Car

Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 03:23 pm Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

mlslistingsabc

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:00 am Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Sdfbdrs

Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:50 pm Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Sdfbdrdfb

Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 01:55 am Click here to edit this post

Authentication Error

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page