Hanukkah

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Holidays: Hanukkah
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

David (David2)

Sunday, December 17, 2000 - 11:58 pm Click here to edit this post
Is there a minimum amount of time the candles have to last after lighting them each night?

mbih (Mbih_Responds)

Wednesday, December 20, 2000 - 05:21 pm Click here to edit this post
The lights must be lit for (at least) 30 minutes after Seth Hakkokhabim (from when we see three stars). Since during the week we light right after Seth Hakkokhabim, you must have sufficient oil to burn for 30 minutes.

Please be careful on Friday evening, however, since we must light Mibbe'od Yom (while it is still light) to ensure that there is enough oil (or that the candles are large enough) to burn for 30 minutes after Seth Hakkokhabim.

Eric (Eric)

Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 10:47 am Click here to edit this post
Are you allowed to use partially used candles on Hanukkah or do they have to be new ones? This would be particularly relevant after the first night, since I like to use big candles and put them out after the required time and light them again the next night.

So I would have a combination of partially used candles (each subsequent night's would be less used than the previous night's) and the candle for that particular night would be brand new.

Thanks.

Patty_G (Patty)

Tuesday, December 04, 2001 - 11:52 am Click here to edit this post
I hope this is not a silly question and you don't mind my asking.

Our family is Jewish but not very observant. Our eldest son has started becoming religious. We never lit candles for Hanukah in our home and he insists that we start. My husband and I don't mind, but he wants my husband to light them.

My husband doesn't feel comfortable doing it and besides isn't it better for my son to do whatever is necessary since he is very religious?

I know that this probably seems very silly, but we're very confused by these changes and would appreciate some answers.

Daniel2 (Daniel2)

Friday, December 07, 2001 - 12:24 am Click here to edit this post
Eric, it is not assur (forbidden) to light candles that are partially used together with new ones, but the best way if you want to use candles, is to use identical ones in shape and size. So using new candles every night is the preferred method.

If you use oil, then you avoid the problem.

Rachamim (Rachamim)

Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:04 am Click here to edit this post
Dear Patty:

Go head light the candles for Hanukah, Shabbat and the rest of the holidays it will bring unity and peace in your home. You can learn a lot from your son.

i don't where do you live, i am in Vegas and your are welcome to our home every Friday night for dinner and singing. Many people ocme to our home who are not observant but they have a great time, and good food too.

salman haim (Salhaim)

Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:10 am Click here to edit this post
dear Rachamim
I could never guess that there are Jews in Vegas.
I have been three times in Vegas. great place.
please take a look at my site:
http://hazzan.qpon.co.il
if you want to correspond with me here is my e-mail:
salhaim@netvision.net.il

Rachamim (Rachamim)

Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:34 am Click here to edit this post
Dear Salman:

There are 80,000 Jews are in Vegas (Barooch Hashem), and there are 21 Shuls, most are reform and conservatism and 7 orthodox shuls.

For the past year three kosher restaurants was opened, and we have a small kosher food in a corner of one of the groceries store.

My neighbor who also reads Torah at our Shul is from Iraq, moved to Israel when he was young then to USA.

Next time in Vegas you are welcome to our home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page