Rosh Hashanah

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Holidays: Rosh Hashanah
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Shmuel (Sea180)

Wednesday, September 27, 2000 - 10:12 am Click here to edit this post
On Rosh Hashanah my family has the minhag of when they get up to the scallion (type of onion) part of the special Rosh Hashanah meal, they bite the scallion in the middle making it into two pieces and throwing the two pieces behind their back on the floor. Does anybody perform this minhag, or know where this minhag originated from?

Rachamim (Rachamim)

Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:39 am Click here to edit this post
Shalom Shmuel:

I am from Iran and we have the same minhag, it means that our enemies are destroyed. in some families they cut in half by hand.

Rachamim

salman haim (Salhaim)

Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:04 am Click here to edit this post
what a lovely Minhag!
please write more about your Minhagim.
I am from Iraq and I will be glad if you find time to look at my site:
tha tradiotion of the Iraqi Jews.
http://hazzan.qpon.co.il

Rachamim (Rachamim)

Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 01:22 am Click here to edit this post
We have a "Seder" type celebration for the two nights of Rosh Hashanah. We have 10 different kinds of foods, including Apple and Honey. We say the blessing over each food and we eat them. The "seder” takes about 10 minutes. For example we have Pomegranate symbolize the Jewish people be populated like the seeds. We have beans, symbolizing the Jews become smart.

Some Ashkenazim have a similar Minhag it is in the Art Scroll Sedoor

It is lots of fun

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page