The 'Omer

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Holidays: The 'Omer
 SubtopicMsgs  Last Updated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Haron (Haron)

Wednesday, May 03, 2000 - 01:44 am Click here to edit this post
When counting the Omer in synagogue, what is the authentic order when counting. Does the Hazan say the berakha and count first or does the kahal?

Springy (Springboard)

Thursday, May 04, 2000 - 10:49 pm Click here to edit this post
I'm a member at Midrash Ben Ish Hai in Great Neck, and the kahal first read the Berakha and count the Omer and say the Harahaman. Then the Hazan says the Berakha and counts then everyone reads the harahaman together again with the hazan and continue reading till the end.

Abba Kuyenov (Abbakohen)

Sunday, May 07, 2000 - 03:44 pm Click here to edit this post
According to Sefardim, are we allowed to brake our mourning of the 'Omer by shaving on Ereb Shabbath -- Rosh Hodesh, for the honor of Shabbath and Rosh Hodesh. Just like we have it this year.

D. Isaac-Saul (Dis)

Sunday, May 07, 2000 - 05:26 pm Click here to edit this post
Abbakohen, i'm afraid not. It is an Askenasi custom writen in the Mishnah Berurah and even many Askenasim don't keep it.
PS. The Sepharadim don't shave until the 34th following the Ben Ish Hai and the Mechaber.

Haifa (Haifa)

Monday, May 08, 2000 - 01:53 pm Click here to edit this post
Tell him like it is Dis. Good for you!

Abba Kuyenov (Abbakohen)

Monday, May 22, 2000 - 11:53 pm Click here to edit this post
According to Sefardim, are we allowed to shave the night of the 34th or should we wait until the next mourning to shave; haircut?

Morris Yohanan (Moshe)

Tuesday, May 23, 2000 - 03:46 pm Click here to edit this post
Abbakohen, according to the mystical (Kabalistic) Rabbis, you should not cut your hair at night, but only in the morning. Not just the 34th of the Omer but any time.

salman haim (Haim)

Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 03:20 am Click here to edit this post
I am a member of Yeshivat Nahar Shalom Mekoobalim in Jerusalem Israel. They don't cut their hair until erev Shavoo'oth.
I sugest to write more and ask questions even it is not the time of the holiday now.

Abba Kuyenov (Abbakohen)

Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 11:43 pm Click here to edit this post
Hello Haim,

I'm sorry, but, I dont quit get your statement. Do you mean that they hold of both zemaneem, right?

Well, if you are a member of a such an institution, there is probably some kabbalistic reason to it. You would probably know it better then an ordinary person. In my opinion, I think that there is actually a theory of Mahmirim, and usually Mekoobalim are Machmirim.

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Friday, April 13, 2001 - 10:16 am Click here to edit this post
Dear Abba Kuyenov:
the Mekubbalim follow the Ar"i Z"l way of life and of course every action has deep roots into the Kabbala. so as I said they keep not shaving until Erev Shavu'ot. they also don't do during the Omer the Kavvanoth that they use to do every day of the year. they do Kavvanoth only during the Beracha of the Omer.

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Tuesday, April 17, 2001 - 02:01 pm Click here to edit this post
B"H
Dear sirs!
with your permission I'd like to start here Derashoth about the Omer from the Sefer Davar Be'ito of Chacham Sason Mordechay A"H who lived in Bagdad about 100 years before the Ben Ish Hai A"H. Beshem Hashem Na'asey Wenaslich:
Usfartem Lachem: the days of the Omer are a Remez ( a hint) to the life of a person. he has to count his days in order to be full with Tora every day and not miss one day without Tora. because if he misses some days he will have to come back to complete them.
Beney Yisrael were ordered to count 49 days because when they were in Egypt they almost entered into 49 gates of Tum'ah. and every year this strong negative influence arrises again. so we have to count 49 days to go out of those 49 gates of the Tum'ah.
if a person has money or diamonds he usually counts them all the time although they are realy not his own because when he lives this world he lives all that he has to others. but if he counts his Miswoth and his good activities they are realy his own and will stay with him forever.

Michael Elk (Rabbimelk)

Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:28 am Click here to edit this post
Haim,

I am interested in your derashot, it sounds very interesting. Also on a side note, as a Rabbi looking to make Aliyah from the US soon, and wanting to study Kabbalah I was wondering how one would gain entrance into a Yeshiva like Nahar Shalom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page