Pesah

'The Midrash BEN ISH HAI Message and Discussion Area': Jewish Holidays: Pesah
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Raphy Soussan (Raphy)

Thursday, April 13, 2000 - 10:11 am Click here to edit this post
What type of vessel do you have to use when you spill the wine for the 10 plagues during the Pesah seder and what should you do with the vessel after pouring the wine?

webmaster (Webmaster)

Thursday, April 13, 2000 - 12:14 pm Click here to edit this post
Are we allowed to listen to music during the Hol Hamoed

Springy (Springboard)

Friday, April 14, 2000 - 12:47 pm Click here to edit this post
What we do is pour the wine for the plagues into any old container and throw it out when we're done.

jack (Jack)

Wednesday, June 07, 2000 - 02:33 pm Click here to edit this post
According to the Ben Ish Hai we use a broken vessel for the plagues.
pilpul77@hotmail.com

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Thursday, March 15, 2001 - 11:01 pm Click here to edit this post
You know this Shabbat is called: Shabbat Para. because we read in the Tora out of Parashat Hashavu'a (Ki Tissa) the Parasha of Para Adumma. the Para had to be completely red. I have heard that at some places in the world and also in Israel people try to raise such Para for the coming Beth Mikdash!!!
the next Shabbat is going to be Shabbat Hachodesh it means the Shabbat before Rosh Chodesh Nisan. we read in this Shabbath "Hachodesh Hazzey Lachem Rosh Chodashim". and on Rosh Chodesh On Sunday we use every year to do Birkat Ha'ilanoth. all the people go outside the city to the forest and there we do the special Tefilla of Birkath Ha'ilanoth. according the Kabbala we can help Neshamoth that are Megulgalim into the trees to "Jump" directly from Being in a plant to Human being and without need to be in an animal before.
now the coming Pesah is a special one because it is going to be on Saturday night (Motza'ey Shabbath!!). so we will have to burn the bread on Friday but we don't say Bittull (cancelation) because we have to eat bread in Seudath Lel Shabbath and In the morning of the Shabbath!!!. so that Shabbath people must do the Tefillat Shahrit early (Hanetz Hachama) so that they will have enough time to have the meal and to throw the rest of the bread and to do the Bittul.
let me know your Minhagim about it.
On Pesah we sing the Piyyut (song) Melech Goel Umoshiya'a. doese anybody know the tune of it?

Pesah Kasher WEsameh
Haim Salman from Yerushalayim Ir Hakodesh

Eli Cohen (Rebmaster)

Friday, March 16, 2001 - 05:00 pm Click here to edit this post
The shabbat before Pesah is shabbat Hagadol because of the Nes (miracle) that took place. On the year we came out of Misrayim the 10th of Nisan was on Shabbath. This is the day we took the lamb for the Qorban Pesah (the sacrifice for Peasah) and the Misrim asked us what this was for and we said to sacrifice to Hashem and they were afraid to tell us anything even though the lamb was a holy animal for the Misrim (Egyptians). There are other reasons why this Shabbat is called Shabbet Hagadol, which I do not know.
During the whole month of Nisan we do not say Tahanun.
We also sing the piyut Melech Goel Umoshiya'a at Midrash Ben Ish Hai in Queens, where I am a member.

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Sunday, March 18, 2001 - 12:33 pm Click here to edit this post
dear eli
I am happy to read what you were writing about Shabbath Haggadol. there is another Minhag that the rabbis tell the Halackoth of Pesah at the Derasha of this Shabbath.
can you tell me how do you do the Birkat Ilanoth there if at all?
Haim salman

Eli Cohen (Rebmaster)

Wednesday, March 28, 2001 - 11:13 am Click here to edit this post
Not far the synagogue we have 2 fruit trees (one peach, 1 nectarine) in the street where I live. We usually go there from the Midrash after Shaharith to say Birkat Ilanot.

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Thursday, March 29, 2001 - 10:39 pm Click here to edit this post
dear Eli
I am happy that you do the Birkath Ilanoth every year. it is good to go outside the city but if you can't you can do it also near home.
now do you know how Iraqi Jews use to bake the Matza Shemura? and the Haroseth? when do you eat the egg on Lel Pesah, before Magid or in the middle of the Seuda?
Haim

Eli Cohen (Rebmaster)

Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 11:54 am Click here to edit this post
If we go outside the city we will not have ASARA.
I do not know how the Jews from Iraq baked Masa Shemura; however, the Jews in Iran used to bake it in their own houses using their own oven. We make Haleq (Haroseth) by grinding and mixing different nuts and fruits and adding wine, vinegar and spices. I know your Haleq is different.
We eat the egg after the meal right before Afikoman, though some eat it at the beginning of the Seder.

Just a note I want to add:
Pesah (Passover) commemorates our freedom from the Egyptian slavery. The Egyptian slavery was not only a physical one but also a spiritual one. Unfortunately we are again in a spiritual slavery. The meaning of living in our days is "making more money than the other guy and spending more money on the mundane". All of which are transient materialistic goals.

Let us free ourselves from this "SLAVERY" at this time of "FREEDOM".

Haim salman (Haimsalman)

Wednesday, April 04, 2001 - 12:31 pm Click here to edit this post
Dear Eli
why you can't you take Asara and go out of the city? here everybody takes his car and drives to a certain place out of the city and you can feel a special kedusha as Ha'ar"i Z"l used to do with his friends.

we also bake our Masa Shemura in our own oven at home (it is special for Pesah) after we buy a special Kemah which was cut especialy for Pesah.

I agree with all your words about "freedom". the true freedom is in learning the divine Tora in which a person can find all the sciences.

you know that according the Midrash: there was a great light at the begining of the Beri'ah but Hashem Ganaz (hid) it in order not to let the Resha'im use it for bad Purposes. but the Midrash dosn't say where? My Rabbi Rosh Hayyeshiva Benayahu Shemueli HY"W says that Hashem hid it into the Tora and every one who learns the Tora can find it there.

Now some thing about the Seder: Karpa"s is Rashey Tevoth of: Kelal Rishon Pey Sagur meaning that you have to keep away from talking about general things in Lel Pesah. you have to speak only about things concerning the Haggada.
Now if you have to talk then Yahas Mosi, meaning say only half of what you want to say.

Pesah Kasher Wesameh to you and to all the Jews everywhere.
I want to thank Rabbi Ya'acob Menashe HY"W the Rosh Midrash Ben Ish Hai who is doing great efforts to spread the Minhagim of the Sepharedic people and especialy the Minhagim of the Iraqi Jews as used to be at the time of the Ben Ish Hai Rabbenu Yoshef Hayim A"h.

Haim salman Yerushalayim Ir Hakkodesh

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion. If you haven't already done so, click the 'Register' button on the left.
Username:  
Password:

Return to Message and Discussion Area
Midrash BEN ISH HAI home page